Join Our Team
If you are interested in becoming involved with Wide Angle Youth Media but there is not a job that interests you at this time, please know we are also always looking to connect with potential guest artists and volunteers or interns.
PART TIME LEAD MEDIA INSTRUCTOR – Middle School Programming
Wide Angle Youth Media is currently hiring outgoing and team-oriented Lead Instructors to facilitate our weekly Baltimore Speaks Out! Program. Wide Angle Youth Media is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides Baltimore youth with media education to tell their own stories and become engaged with their communities. The Baltimore Speaks Out! Program is an after school program comprised of approximately 15 students aged 10-15 from Baltimore City schools. Throughout the spring semester, students in the Baltimore Speaks Out! Program meet twice a week to learn video production, photography, critical thinking, and leadership skills while engaging in their communities. These are part time positions that last throughout the academic year of approximately 12-15 hours per week.
In addition to facilitating the workshop, the LEAD INSTRUCTOR is responsible for the following:
• Working with students to produce and complete a short video that will be screened at the end of the program.
• Post-production work will be required.
• Reviewing curriculum and communicating with the assistant instructor before and during each class.
• Oversee the Supper Program by serving food to students and keeping track of reporting paperwork as necessary.
• Making recruitment presentations in the community.
• Participating in weekly meetings to discuss classroom progress and review curriculum with the Program Manager.
• Organizing production field trips, a recruitment event, and a closing ceremony event.
• Acting as an advocate and leader in recruitment and community outreach to create awareness of the program.
• Completing daily reports after each class, keeping track of attendance and paperwork, and other administrative tasks as assigned.
• Participating in weekly staff meetings.
The following skills are required for the LEAD INSTRUCTOR position:
• Advanced experience with video production, video editing, photography, lighting, and audio recording.
• Previous experience facilitating/teaching K-12 aged youth.
• Ability to communicate effectively with citizens, staff, parents, young people, volunteers, and community groups.
• Familiarity with basic computer operations: email, word-processing, spreadsheets, and basic graphics.
• Event planning skills are a plus.
• Enthusiasm and passion for mentoring others and making change in communities.
• A vehicle is required for this position.
How to apply:
• Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a link to your online media portfolio to email@example.com. Only applicants selected for an interview will be notified, all finalists must complete a finger print background check.
• Wide Angle Youth Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers residents of Baltimore City first.
Job Description: Wide Angle Productions is looking for a talented freelance editor to assist with post-production on a variety of short, documentary video projects. The editor will work directly with Wide Angle’s Production Manager and 5 Youth Producers.
Wide Angle Productions tells powerful stories about civic-minded organizations and businesses striving to make Baltimore a healthier, happier city. The media we create enables our clients to promote their work and to attract new partners and investors, positioning them to fulfill their missions and make a beneficial impact on Baltimore. In addition to supporting current civic leaders, WAP mentors Baltimore’s next generation of media professionals by training and hiring Baltimore City youth to produce media for clients. By connecting their passion for media-making to paid work experiences, we set our Youth Producers on a course for future financial success, while also engaging them in work that benefits their communities.
Commitment and Compensation: This is a freelance position requiring 10-20 hours of work per week starting immediately through October 2015. There is potential for this job to develop into an ongoing position. Hourly rate is commensurate with experience with a range from $15-$20.
Skills and Requirements:
- Must have professional skills in video and audio post-production, as demonstrated in a demo reel or other work samples.
- Must have a high level of skill Adobe Creative Cloud programs, including Premiere, After Effects, Speedgrade, Audition, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Prefer experience with color grading software, such as DaVinci Resolve.
- Prefer candidates with additional experience in video, audio, and photo production.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent time-management skills.
- Ability to set, manage, and meet firm deadlines for clients.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Experience working with and teaching young people.
- Entrepreneurial thinker who can recognize and seize opportunities, solve problems, and approach challenges in a proactive way.
- Enthusiasm for telling civic stories about people and organizations doing positive work in Baltimore City and beyond.
- All staff undergo fingerprinting criminal background checks.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ingest, organize, log, and label a variety of video, audio, and photo media in preparation for editing.
- Color grade media such as footage shot in Raw formats.
- Create paper edits, based on transcripts to guide the editing of documentary-style projects.
- Assist staff with all aspects of editing a variety of short media projects.
- Meet with staff and clients to review rough cuts and receive feedback for revisions.
- Assist the Production Manager in training, facilitating, and mentoring Youth Producers – including developing trainings in post-production skills, identifying editing tasks for Youth Producers, reviewing Youth Producer work and advising them during the editing process.
- All applicants should have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent, plus two years of professional editing experience.
How to Apply:
E-mail a cover letter, resume, and 3 references. Please include links to examples of video editing work. firstname.lastname@example.org
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. Applicants who have been accepted for an interview will be notified by mid November.
See recent Wide Angle Productions work at: http://www.vimeo/wideproductions. Wide Angle Youth Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we agree to interview qualified Baltimore City Residents First.